The song "Mahi Aaja" from the 2015 Prabhu Deva film Singh is Bliing starring Akshay Kumar and Amy Jackson proposes the idea that love has no language barrier. The song mixes a dynamic and entertaining melody with English and Hindi lyrics to create a simple and memorable refrain.
The Singh is Bliing soundtrack features an "Unplugged" version that is fully performed in Hindi and sung by composer Manj Musik along with Arijit Singh, whose vocal talents lend a heartfelt honesty to every melody he performs.
Born in West Bengal in 1987, Arijit Singh rose to fame as part of the Indian reality television show Fame Gurukul in 2005. While he didn't win that musical competition, he went on to win 10 Ke 10 Le Gaye Dil, a face-off between Fame Gurukul and Indian Idol contestants. This performer-singer-music programmer with classical Indian music training went on to work with some of the biggest names in the Indian music industry including Shankar–Ehsaan–Loy, Vishal–Shekhar, Mithoon and Pritam Chakraborty.
It is Pritam who brought Arijit Singh's voice to the silver screen. One of his early and memorable playback performances was in the classical Indian section of the song "Raabta" from Agent Vinod (2012). This song was not only memorable for the musical arrangement, but for the way it was picturized - as a smooth, quiet song sung during a cat-and-mouse shootout in a hotel lobby.
Arijit Singh is not a fan of publicity and doesn't revel in his celebrity status. The Tarsame Mittal Talent Management offers the following about this humble and self-effacing star:
Known for his media shy personality not many are aware that he has a great sense of humor. His passion not only lies in music but also in photography and filmmaking. Obsessed with cameras he has a growing collection of his favorite gadget. His idea of a fun night is spending it at home with his family and close friends. Ohhh and by the way we have a State level Badminton player in the TM Family and that’s none other than this versatile personality.
Arijit Singh's passion to share his love of music is what drives him.
Music is art that cannot be gained by money it is only can get by passion. Music classes can help you but the classes can't make u perfect— Arijit Singh (@TheArijitSingh) August 28, 2015
Recently, the playback singer got some additional recognition for the 2012 song "Tum Hi Ho" from Aashiqui 2 when a Canadian groom offered a rendition of the song to his Indian bride.
While Arijit Singh has hundreds of Hindi and Bengali songs to his repertoire, we focus on just a few. If you are new to Bollywood, here are five favorite songs sung in the mesmerizing voice of Arijit Singh.
5 Favorite Arijit Singh Songs
- "Jiya" from Gunday (2014) Composed by Sohail Sen with lyrics by Irshad Kamil. Picturized on Ranveer Singh and Priyanka Chopra
- "Tum Hi Ho" from Aashiqui 2 (2012). Composed by Mithoon. Picturized on Aditya Roy Kapoor, Shraddha Kapoor.
- "Laal Ishq" from Goliyon Ki Raasleela Ram-Leela (2013). Composed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali with lyrics by Siddharth-Garima. Picturized on Ranveer Singh and Deepika Padukone though only the audio version of the song is featured in this playlist.
- "Saudebaazi" from Mary Kom (2015). Composed by Shivam Pathak with lyrics by Prashant Ingole. Picturized on Priyanka Chopra and Darshan Kumaar.
- "Ashq No Ha" from Holiday: A Soldier Is Never Off Duty (2014). Composed by Pritam Chakraborty with lyrics by Irshad Kamil. Picturized on Akshay Kumar and Sonakshi Sinha.
- "Mahi Aaja (Unplugged)" from Singh is Bliing soundtrack. Composed by Manj Musik.
If you liked this, visit our other posts, share or leave a comment.