The International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) has announced that this year's IIFA Festival and Awards Weekend will be held 14-15 July 2017 at the MetLife Stadium just outside of New York City in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
The IIFA Awards - also known as the "Bollywood Oscars" - is an international event bringing the biggest Bollywood celebrities together with fans and media in a different country each year. It has all the celebrity and pageantry of Hollywood's Oscars ceremony, but with a decidedly Bollywood film flavor.
Today marks the start of the IIFA Voting Weekend where members of the Indian film industry cast their votes for nominees in the category of the Popular Awards. The IIFA Voting Weekend marks the advent of the IIFA celebrations each year.
There is a lot of enthusiasm and excitement as IIFA travels to the United States for the second time. IIFA last came to Tampa, Florida in April 2014. While a number of notable stars were on hand, the weekend coincided with the national elections in India so not all of the hoped-for Bollywood stars were able to attend.
Find out more about what to expect this year by reading our coverage of IIFA 2014:
- TATA Motors #IIFA Awards 2014 Embraces Hollywood Star Kevin Spacey
- Priyanka Chopra, Girl Rising, and a Global Movement for Girls' Education - #IIFA 2014
- Dhanush Wins #IIFA 2014 Male Debut Award, Audience Asks Him to Sing #musicmonday
- Wanted: Bollywood Brand Ambassadors for Planet Earth #IIFA 2014
- Bollywood and Vine: Celebrity 360-Degree @Vine Videos at #IIFA 2014
- #IIFA 2014: And the Nominees and WINNERS Are ...
- 5 Lessons Learned from Acting Guru Anupam Kher at #IIFA 2014
- The Week That #IIFA 2014, Earth Day, Easter, and Elections Touch
- Photos from #IIFA2014
New York, “The City That Never Sleeps”, is an appropriate location to host this event. Besides being a large and ethnically diverse metropolis, the city and its suburbs have hosted the filming of many celebrated Bollywood films featuring top Indian actors including Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna, English Vinglish, Kal Ho Na Ho, My Name is Khan, New York and Anjaana Anjaani featuring Quantico star Priyanka Chopra.
Commenting on the occasion, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio explained,
“We are thrilled to welcome IIFA to New York! Our city is home to both a thriving film industry and a dynamic, growing Indian American community. This is an event that will contribute enormously to both the cultural and economic life of our city. We welcome the artists and fans of Indian cinema, and encourage everyone to experience the rich cultural life across the five boroughs while celebrating these groundbreaking films.”
Created by Wizcraft International Entertainment in 2000, the Indian media and entertainment company is once again producing this star-studded event. Of this year's event, Director Andre Timmons said,
“I am really looking forward to the IIFA Festival this year as we are premiering our event in New York City and this is the ideal destination as we start to creatively evolve and grow the brand and its events. The brand is building the bridge between the Indian film industry along with the international world of entertainment to come together on one stage and this is the perfect destination to host such diverse and multi-cultural celebrations. IIFA Festival New York is going to be an extravaganza of entertainment like never witnessed before in America with the biggest stars from India and world class production coming together at one of the greatest venues – MetLife Stadium.”
The two-day IIFA Festival New York will feature:
- IIFA Weekend Press Conference and official opening event
- IIFA Rocks Green Carpet featuring film industry stars' arrival to the IIFA Rocks concert
- IIFA Rocks, a fun-filled Friday-night concert featuring music and performances by Bollywood musicians and stars
- IIFA Awards Green Carpet showcasing the arrival of film industry celebrities to the IIFA Awards main event
- IIFA Awards, the main event on Saturday night that celebrates Bollywood film achievements from the past year
Ron VanDeVeen President & CEO, MetLife Stadium, added,
“We are honored that IIFA has chosen MetLife Stadium to host the 18th annual IIFA Awards and we look forward to welcoming the thousands of fans from around the world who will travel to New Jersey. This global event offers us the incredible opportunity to host our first-ever awards show and to continue to showcase our region to an international audience.”
See you at #IIFA2017!
If you liked this, please share, leave a comment and check out our other posts.